Moving Day Tips
Its almost that exciting time of year when you move into the dorms, meet new friends, and start your new classes! Moving sounds like fun, until you actually have to do it. For many of you it is your first moving experience, and we want to help you have a smooth transition.
- Make a checklist of everything you will need to take. Check your universities website for a basic list of what you will need. Every place is different and may provide certain items another college doesn’t. Match your items to the list before you pack
- Talk with your roommate(s). Many colleges give you the contact information for your new roommates so you can get to know each other before moving in. We recommend you also figure out who will bring what. You don’t want to end up with two microwaves and two TVs.
- Decide when to move. Plan which date and time you will move so friends and family that are helping can plan accordingly. You definitely don’t want to get stuck without help, especially if you are moving out of the area.
- Use similarly sized boxes to make stacking more efficient. Put the heaviest items on the bottom.
- Wrap breakables in t-shirts, towels or other soft items to save on bubble wrap and to maximize the space in your boxes.
- When loading your car or moving truck make sure the most important items are loaded last. You may not want to unpack everything the first day so things like your toothbrush, bed sheets and other necessities should be easily accessible. You may even want to load a backpack with “first night” items just in case you are too sleepy to dig through boxes.
- Before unloading, carefully fill out your room damage form. Make sure to note any damage, big or small. You don’t want to get charged for someone else’s damage at the end of the year.
- Dress in light, breathable clothing. You will be working up a sweat moving in and setting up your room.
- Grab heavier items first. You will have more energy at the beginning and will thank yourself for the light loads at the end of the day.
When you are ready to move out at the end of the year call us so we can help you store your things! Get your summer started sooner by using public self storage to keep all your belongings safe. We have great student storage deals you won’t want to pass up.
Locations in Canada