Store your temperature sensitive belongings away from the effects of extreme heat and cold.
Some of your belongings will be more sensitive to the extremes of heat and cold. The longer they have to endure temperature swings the more they will benefit from a climate controlled unit where it stays in a constant environment (between 55°F and 85°F). And since these units need to be enclosed to maintain their environments, your belongings are also better protected from pests, humidity and excess dust.
Or simply treat yourself.
Because you’re worth it.
If you frequent your storage space on a regular basis, climate controlled units can make the trip less stressful for you. When your unit feels like a room away from home, moving and searching for your things there won’t feel stressful. You may even want to keep a chair in there for breaks.
How to identify your climate sensitive belongings.
Some items don't seem sensitive, and it's hard to imagine what could happen to them in extreme temperatures. If you’re not sure what is considered sensitive, maybe this will help:
Collectibles – antiques, artwork, classic cars, wine
Electronics – computers, stereos, cameras
Household and personal items – appliances, books, clothing, heirlooms, vital documents
Media – cassettes, CDs, negatives, photos and photo albums
Sensitive materials – glass, leather, metal, plastic, wax
What might happen you ask?
Wood expands and contracts due to extreme heat and cold and leads to cracking, tearing, and warping.
Paper and fabrics will yellow and degrade from high temperatures.
Paper and fabrics can be stained by mold and mildew in humid and warm temperatures.
Metals can weaken and become susceptible to rust and corrosion if exposed to moisture or extreme heat or cold.
Electronics can be ruined by dampness or extreme heat or cold.
CDs, DVDs and tapes can warp, degrading image and sound quality.
Photos can fade, degrading image quality.
Furniture and fabrics can be damaged by rodents or insects.
Top benefits of climate controlled storage
Keeping a constant environment has its benefits. While there is an additional cost for these units, it might be worth it over basic storage. Here's why.
- Replacing valuable items may not be an option, or would cost more than storing them in a climate controlled unit.
- Frequent visits to your unit make having a comfortable unit easier on you.
- Say “no” to worries about pests, temperature damage or corrosion. This is especially true if they will be stored for an extended amount of time.
- Extra protection against flooding and water exposure caused by humidity, rain and melted snow, as climate controlled storage units are typically enclosed.
- Protect against wood damage caused by extreme temperatures—freezing and thawing causes wood and metal to expand and contract, resulting in warping, weakening, splitting, and cracking.
- Cleanliness of indoor climate controlled areas means less dust and dirt will get onto your belongings compared to basic storage areas.
- Interior climate controlled storage units give you more privacy than what is provided by basic drive-up storage units.
If a climate controlled unit sounds right for you, reserve a climate controlled unit today!
Locations in Canada